The Cost of Promises Made

 


There’s a little story behind these socks that I knit for my husband.  

I’m sure in the larger scheme of things my sock yarn stash is not as large as some other knitters might have.  Nonetheless, I made a promise to myself that I wouldn’t purchase any more sock yarn until I had used up what is in my stash.  If I knit my average of one pair of socks a month, I estimate that it’s going to take me about two years to work through it all!

Naturally, after I committed myself to this promise, my husband asked me to knit him a pair of socks, “Soft gray fisherman socks.”   Well, I didn’t have anything in my stash that I was either willing to let him have, or that was suitable for the kind of socks he wanted.  As a joke, I told him he’d have to wait about two years because of my promise.  However, just because I couldn’t buy anymore yarn, that didn’t mean other people couldn’t give me some.  I sent him a link to KnitPick’s Capretta yarn, and told him to get two skeins in gray for him, and two skeins in purple for me.  If he did that, I promised I would make his socks next.  We laughed it off, and joked about how he was not willing to enable my yarn addiction, and I figured we were done.   Four days later, the yarn showed up in my mailbox!  

These soft and fuzzy socks are the end result.  I kept my promise to myself of not buying any more yarn, I made his pair with the yarn he bought.  Yet somehow my stash isn’t any smaller as a result (oops!).  

(I’m labeling these pair number 26.5 because they aren’t going on my sock drawer, but I still might wear them on occasion). 

Comments

Popular Posts